06/13/2022

It's been a long time, or so it feels but unfortunately, not much has been happening in Ruby's world, in terms of media conception though, oh boy. I have gotten into Wong Kar-Wai over the last week. His style of directing is amazing. In terms of visuals he excels incredible over any other director I have watched. A perfect example of this is his film Fallen Angels, which is exactly everything I look for in a film. The story is absolutely enticing, luring you in every single second with a high level of energy and suspense as what will happen next, you really care for everyone in the film, and what they're doing and why they're doing said thing. You really don't get that with many movies, and the only ones you do are the ones that are written incredibly well, which is already a huge plus right off the bat, and then you get the visuals. This is probably, and I'm gonna say this with my full chest, the best looking movie ever made, everything about it is absolutely stunning and makes me realize that THAT is what I want to do. The colors, the lens, the way shots are set up, it's all genuinely incredible to look at, and it's speechless on how Wong Kar-Wai and his cinematographer Chris Doyle do it. There's literally nothing more visually stunning than half of the shots in this film, if not all of the shots. I'm genuinely amazed by everything relating to it, and the lighting for the colors is just, god. It's all amazing, that's the level I wanna reach when I direct, just, that. Visually speaking at least. His other films too are also just stunning, just recently I watched In The Mood For Love and it was phenomenal to watch, now I'm not the one for period pieces, but the way he does it is just, great. The story of that one was incredibly enticing too, and was fun to watch throughout, and you could feel everything about it too, all at once. I also watched Happy Together which was another phenomenal film, and its colors were amazing too. I've been looking into getting the World Of Wong Kar-Wai set from Criterion, which I assure you, will be in my possession as soon as possible. I will try to pick that up as well as Ashes Of Time and The Grandmaster, which are other films of his. I'm not gonna get My Blueberry Nights though. I'm fairly excited about the set though, even though there's a lot of controversies surrounding the transfers, and I looked at them and they seem to be fine while being compared to past releases, and it looks like the beautiful colors I've grown to love in Wong Kar-Wai's work is still there, although a bit weird looking, but I don't really care. The only one that's an actual problem is Fallen Angels, which it's original presentation is absolutely stunning. I've expressed how I felt about the film before but it looked genuinely perfect, and then Criterion had to ruin it somehow. The one problem is that the film is in a new aspect ratio, and a unpleasing one at that. 2:40:1 I think, and it looks wrong in every way, it doesn't look natural like the original did, and it feels like a cropped movie that's uploaded to YouTube to avoid copyright, unfortunately it had to be my favorite one to get the short end of the stick but I've already seen the film so it doesn't affect my decision to order the set regardless, as the other films look completely fine to me from going research. I've only seen 50% of the films included but I'm incredibly excited to watch the others when I get the set, especially As Tears Go By, and 2046. I really enjoy the themes of those films from what I've read, so I am 100% going to watch those when I get the set, the other 2 as well. I also plan of getting a few Godzilla Blu-rays too which, yeah. I recently watched a few Godzilla films, more specifically 3 so I have about 14 films left in the whole franchise until I'm done, in terms of Japanese films, but realistically I'm probably not gonna watch the American ones, although I own them on Blu-ray. Godzilla really is an incredible franchise, and one of my favorites. I've expressed that very clearly but I can't stress how much I love Godzilla, absolutely wonderful movies. Godzilla Vs. Biollante was a great film and was intense, whilst Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah was just incredible throughout the entire film and I enjoyed every single second, and had the most insane plot in a Godzilla film so far and, was of course, perfectly executed, which is really no surprise for the film. Unfortunately Godzilla Vs. Mothra wasn't exactly the best, it started off great but it felt like it dragged on much longer than it should've. That reminds me, I found this fansite I mentioned in the last blog post but didn't want to mention it because of the tone of the post, but I feel great right now so I'm gonna mention it here. The website is called MyKaiju and it's really fun to go through, it's just this one dude who documents his experience with Godzilla and Kaiju and there's a TON to go through, it was fun to look at. What sparked my interest the most was this section that had a ton of random Godzilla items, like rare VHS's to weird promo items, very fun to look at. I love Godzilla, I'm really in this for life, and I'm very happy I am. That's enough about me gushing about Godzilla, for this post at least. Another thing that happened is that I finally got one of my PlayStation 4 controllers to work on the computer, which was great because it was frustrating last time, but that was because I didn't get the right drivers. I'm very happy I got it though because it essentially had open a world of gaming to me I was locked behind because I hate using the keyboard for video games, unless it was built for it, I always prefer the controller regardless, so the first thing I did was grab a few Dreamcast and PlayStation games, and they played greatly. I love the controller, though I'm going to have to remap it a little because the controls kind of suck at the moment, but nothing a little remapping can't fix :). I can finally play a bunch of Godzilla games I've been wanting to play for like ever, and a bunch of others too, I even wrote a list down of the ones I wanna play, which went up to 15 games, so I'm gonna be excited to play those. Postal 2 is a lot different on a controller, but it's still good nonetheless, and I'm happy with it. I recently decided to clear out Spotify, meaning get rid of everything I can, like useless playlists, albums, and artists. The reason why I did this was because my Spotify was a mess, there was so much everywhere, so I just got rid of most of it. Very glad I did because everything is a lot better and easier now. Nothing more than that. Other than those things, not much has happened really, which isn't surprising since this is the summer. I figured I would update the blog with some positive stuff, or things that make me feel better, as I love to ramble about this type of stuff. Oh! LOONA! I don't think I've talked about this but LOONA just announced a new comeback and the visuals look amazing, and I'm extremely excited about it, and what's more exciting is that POSE, and the song the leaders of each sub-unit wrote is gonna be on it titled Playback and another thing is that, as of the day this is being published, it's JinSoul's birthday too. I'm really excited for all of it though, and the new music video and mini-album. Anything else? Hm, not really. I promise you I'll make a long detailed post about the Wong Kar-Wai set when I get it, which will be some time in July since every July, Criterion has a sale where everything is 50% off, meaning I'll have the money for the set, which I'm excited for. Alright, that might be everything, I hope at least. I'll catch you guys in the next post whenever that may be. I hope you all have a bless day, as am I.

P.S. Haunted Mound member Turnabout dropped his debut mixtape Cutter Lane and it's great. The production is top notch and I'm incredibly happy where the sound of Haunted Mound is going because I love it so much.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LOONA Archive!

Goals for 2023 + Life and Blog "Update"

Godzilla's Various American Titles